Welcome to Pacifica High School, a high school rich in academic co-curricular, and extra-curricular activities for everyone!
As always, even under distance learning, we continue to offer you many opportunities to personalize your education to better prepare you for future education and career decision-making. The staff members at PHS are among the most talented and dedicated educators anywhere. Our staff is working to reinvent how we deliver instruction with innovative educational approaches to foster a teaching and learning community where instruction is student-centered, project based, interactive, and connected to real world experiences.
Here are some differences to expect during the 2020-21 school year:
1) We will offer 80 minutes of live stream instruction (called synchronous instruction) per class period.
2) We will provide 45 minutes of targeted personalized “Tutorials” on Mon/Tues and Thurs/Fri from 11:00-11:45.
3) Additional online learning opportunities will occur every day after 5th or 6th periods from 1:40-2:47 (called asynchronous learning). * Asynchronous distance learning occurs when the teacher and the students interact in different places and during different times. Students enrolled in asynchronous courses are able to complete their work whenever they please within the guidelines of the assigned due date.
4) Attendance will be taken during all of our 80 minute periods: 1st-6th periods.
5) Grades will count and traditional A-F grades will be assigned.
Please ask your child what she/he learned in school today and how she/he knows they learned the material. Students will be encouraged to attend tutorials to preview units, preview quizzes, revise their writing, retake quizzes, and engage in other activities for credit.
Our goal is to provide all Mariners with the opportunity to excel in academics, physical fitness, technology, and the arts so that everyone can become positive contributing members of our school and community.
I look forward to working with all of our families this school year in order to assist all students in fulfilling their dreams for the future.
Have a fantastic year!
Steve Osborne, Principal